Definition of Genus menura
1. Noun. Type and sole genus of the family Menuridae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Menuridae, Menuridae
Member holonyms: Lyrebird
Genus Menura Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Menura Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Menura
Literary usage of Genus menura
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Charles Knight (1837)
"... that I would assign a place to the beautiful New Holland genus Menura, Lath., a group that has hitherto afforded more difficulty to the systematic ..."
2. The Century Dictionary: An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language by William Dwight Whitney (1890)
"... represented by the genus Menura; the lyre-birds. It Is one of two families (the other being ..."
3. An introduction to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1848)
"Genus MENURA. It might have been expected that the various explorations which have of late years been made into the previously unknown regions of Australia ..."
4. The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex. by Charles Darwin (1871)
"It is remarkable that only small birds properly sing. The Australian genus Menura, however, must be ex- cepted ; for the Menura ..."