Definition of Genus odontaspis
1. Noun. Type and sole genus of Carchariidae: sand sharks.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Carchariidae, Family Carchariidae, Family Odontaspididae, Odontaspididae
Member holonyms: Carcharias Taurus, Odontaspis Taurus, Sand Shark, Sand Tiger
Genus Odontaspis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Odontaspis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Odontaspis
Literary usage of Genus odontaspis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria by Royal Society of Victoria (1904)
"S. prisca is an Eocene and Miocene form, and is found in Europe and North America. Family Lamnidae. genus odontaspis, Agassiz. ..."
2. Transactions of the Leeds Geological Association by Leeds Geological Association (1891)
"... as some intermediate species appear to bridge over the limits between the two genera. The genus Odontaspis is represented by species still living. ..."
3. Proceedings of the Geologists' Association by Geologists' Association (1900)
"GENUS Odontaspis. In this genus all except a few hindermost teeth exhibit a high, narrow, compressed crown, flanked by one or two pairs of small pointed ..."
4. Paleobiology of the Williamsburg Formation (Black Mingo Group; Paleocene) of by Albert E. Sanders (1998)
"Vertical folds, then, are not taxonomically significant, and this species is retained in the genus Odontaspis. ..."