Definition of Genus osmerus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Osmeridae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Osmeridae, Osmeridae
Member holonyms: Osmerus Mordax, Rainbow Smelt, European Smelt, Osmerus Eperlanus, Sparling
Genus Osmerus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Osmerus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Osmerus
Literary usage of Genus osmerus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Manual of Geology: Treating of the Principles of the Science with Special by James Dwight Dana (1875)
"... from the Chalk at Lewes, —a fish of the Salmon family (Cycloid) related to the Smelt (genus Osmerus], and about fourteen inches in length. ..."
2. Geology of New Jersey by New Jersey Geological Survey, George Hammell Cook (1868)
"... in Sussex County, produce very large specimens, which latter are found in the river in mid-summer, near the mouths of the small streams. Genus OSMERUS. ..."
3. Manual of Geology:: Treating of the Principles of the Science, with Special by James Dwight Dana (1863)
"... from the Chalk at Lewes,—a fish of the Salmon family (Cycloid) related to the Smelt (genus Osmerus], and about fourteen inches in length. ..."
4. The Natural History of Secession by Thomas Shepard Goodwin (1865)
"The genus osmerus contains the American Smelt, O. viridescens, LeS., which is six to twelve inches long, greenish above, silvery beneath, with an obscure ..."
5. Natural History: A Manual of Zoölogy for Schools, Colleges, and the General by Sanborn Tenney (1869)
"A11 i • ii • i tmct species. All are highly prized on account of the delicacy of their flesh. The genus osmerus contains the American Smelt, ..."