Definition of Genus pholis
1. Noun. Type genus of the Pholidae: gunnels.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Pholidae, Family Pholididae, Pholidae
Member holonyms: Butterfish, Pholis Gunnellus, Rock Gunnel
Genus Pholis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Pholis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Pholis
Literary usage of Genus pholis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. First- Second Annual Report Upon the Natural History and Geology of the by Ezekiel Holmes, Charles Henry Hitchcock (1862)
"genus pholis, Fleming. GEN. Crun. Body elongated, dorsal fin extending along the back, and composed of simple flexible rays. ..."
2. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1904)
"... and to the very closely related genus Pholis was assigned another species named Pholis sub- ..."
3. The American Catalogue of Books: (original and Reprints,) Published in the by James Kelly (1866)
"On the respiration of the Fishes of the Blenny family and genus Pholis. Dr. Kneeland. An account of a monstrosity. The President. Micro-Photography, or the ..."
4. Proceedings by Zoological Society of London (1843)
"... it being a genuine member of the genus Pholis of Fleming. PHOLIS BUFO. P.fusco-nigrescens, versicolor, max pallide cervina, nigro maculata et punctata, ..."
5. A Conchological Manual by George Brettingham Sowerby (1852)
"A common name given to shells of the genus PhoLis, on account of their cylindrical form and consequent resemblance to the fruit. ..."