Definition of Genus psilotum
1. Noun. Type genus of the Psilotaceae.
Generic synonyms: Fern Genus
Group relationships: Family Psilotaceae, Psilotaceae
Member holonyms: Whisk Fern
Genus Psilotum Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Psilotum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Psilotum
Literary usage of Genus psilotum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Lectures on the Physiology of Plants by Julius Sachs (1887)
"... &c\ The whole Cryptogamic class Equisetaceae (Horsetails) also belongs here, as well as the genus Psilotum included in the Lycopodiaceae. ..."
2. Illustrations of the Geology of Sussex: Containing a General View of the by Gideon Algernon Mantell (1827)
"Stokes and Webb, from the shape of its frond, supposed that it resembled the plants of the genus psilotum; but from the disposition of the vessels in the ..."
3. Chamber's Encyclopaedia: A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge (1890)
"... includes the genus Psilotum, with two species which are found in the tropics of both hemispheres, and the genus ..."
4. The Geological History of Plants by John William Dawson (1888)
"It is so named from its resemblance, in some respects, to the curious parasitic Lycopods placed in the modern genus Psilotum. Several species have been ..."
5. The Geology of the South-east of England by Gideon Algernon Mantell (1833)
"Stokes and Webb, from the shape of its frond, supposed that it resembled the plants of the genus Psilotum ; but from the disposition of the vessels in the ..."
6. The Annals and Magazine of Natural History by Taylor and Francis, William Jardine (1847)
"In favour of this view may be instanced the two- or three-chambered fruit of the foreign genus Psilotum, in which, at its first appearance, ..."