Definition of Genus sphyrna
1. Noun. Type genus of the Sphyrnidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Sphyrnidae, Sphyrnidae
Member holonyms: Hammerhead, Hammerhead Shark
Genus Sphyrna Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Sphyrna Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Sphyrna
Literary usage of Genus sphyrna
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Manual of Palaeontology for the Use of Students with a General by Henry Alleyne Nicholson, Richard Lydekker (1889)
"... and is found in the freshwater Pliocene Siwaliks of north-western India. The strange Hammer-headed Shark, the only representative of the genus Sphyrna ..."
2. Reports of the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey (1907)
"Genus SPHYRNA Rafinesque. Hammer-headed Sharks. These sharks are readily distinguishable by their peculiarly shaped heads, which by lateral extension have ..."
3. Maryland Geological Survey by Maryland Geological Survey (1901)
"... rather under the average size attained by this species. Occurrence.—NANJEMOY FORMATION. Woodstock. Collection.—Maryland Geological Survey. Genus SPHYRNA ..."
4. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1903)
"( 1 ) A shark of the genus Sphyrna, consisting of four or five species, and constituting a family, ..."
5. Bulletin by Engineering Dept, National Electric Lamp Association, New Jersey Bureau of Geology and Topography, New Jersey Geological Survey, New Jersey Dept. of Conservation and Development, New Jersey Dept. of Conservation. Division of Forestry, Geology, Parks an (1911)
"Though a number of generic names have been proposed, they are now generally referred to the single genus Sphyrna. Genus SPHYRNA Rafinesque. ..."