Definition of Genus spinus
1. Noun. In some classifications considered a subgenus of Carduelis: siskins and New World goldfinches.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Fringillidae, Fringillidae
Member holonyms: Goldfinch, New World Goldfinch, Spinus Tristis, Yellowbird, Pine Finch, Pine Siskin, Spinus Pinus
Genus Spinus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Spinus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Spinus
Literary usage of Genus spinus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1910)
"... winters over most of its breeding range and east to Arizona and western New Mexico. genus spinus KOCH. Spinus KOCH, Syst. Baier. Zool., 1816, 233. ..."
2. Handbook of Birds of the Western United States: Including the Great Plains by Florence Merriam Bailey, Louis Agassiz Fuertes (1902)
"From December until the last of March small flocks feed in weed patches along the banks of the arroyos. genus spinus. 633. Spinus pinus (ll'/'/s.). ..."
3. Western Birds by Harriet Williams Myers (1922)
"genus spinus: PINE SISKIN. Pine Siskin: Spinus pinus. FAMILY—FINCHES, SPARROWS, ETC. ANOTHER small member of the Finch Family is the Pine Siskin, ..."
4. The Birds of Maine: With Key to and Description of the Various Species Known by Ora Willis Knight (1908)
"Genus SPINUS Koch. 533. Spinus pinus (Wils.). Pine Siskin; Pine Linnet; Pine Finch; American Siskin. Plumage of adults: above streaked with dusky or ..."