Definition of Get hold of
1. Verb. Get into one's hands, take physically. "The children get hold of the ball"; "Can you take this bag, please"
Specialized synonyms: Clutch, Prehend, Seize, Seize
Also: Take Apart, Take Away, Take In, Take In, Take On, Take Up
Derivative terms: Taking
2. Verb. Be in or establish communication with. "He never contacted his children after he emigrated to Australia"
Generic synonyms: Communicate, Intercommunicate
Specialized synonyms: Ping, Ping, Raise
Derivative terms: Contact, Contact
3. Verb. Affect. "He was seized with a dreadful disease"
Generic synonyms: Overcome, Overpower, Overtake, Overwhelm, Sweep Over, Whelm
Derivative terms: Clutch
Get Hold Of Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Get Hold Of Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Get Hold Of
Literary usage of Get hold of
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann (1913)
"... if they could but persuade him, they would soon get hold of all the rest. Constantius sent to Rome his prefect of the bed-chamber, the eunuch Eusebius, ..."
2. The History of the Popes, from the Close of the Middle Ages: Drawn from the by Ludwig Pastor, Ralph Francis Kerr, Frederick Ignatius Antrobus (1894)
"The Pope hoped to get hold of some, if not all, of the conspirators. J On the 29th February, it was believed that a clue to Callimachus' abode had been ..."
3. The Reign of Henry VIII from His Accession to the Death of Wolsey by John Sherren Brewer, James Gairdner (1884)
"... and, if it proved correct, to contrive and get hold of the money, and secretly deliver it to the factors of the Fuggers to be deposited in the imperial ..."
4. Report of the Proceedings by Church congress (1891)
"When you get hold of the boy you get hold of the man, and then you need not trouble about anybody else, because in all probability the woman will follow. ..."