Definition of Get together
1. Noun. A small informal social gathering. "There was an informal meeting in my living room"
Generic synonyms: Social Affair, Social Gathering
Specialized synonyms: Conventicle, Appointment, Date, Engagement, Visit, Lunch Meeting, Luncheon Meeting, Power Breakfast, Seance, Session, Sitting
Derivative terms: Meet, Meet
2. Verb. Get people together. "They want to get together the prisoners "; "Gather the close family members"
Causes: Assemble, Foregather, Forgather, Gather, Meet
Specialized synonyms: Make
Derivative terms: Assemblage, Assemblage, Gathering, Gathering
3. Verb. Get together socially or for a specific purpose.
Specialized synonyms: Pick Up, Reunite, Rendezvous, Call, Call In, Visit, Celebrate, Fete
Derivative terms: Meet, Meeter, Meeting, Meeting
4. Verb. Work together on a common enterprise of project. "We joined forces with another research group"
Generic synonyms: Work
Specialized synonyms: Collaborate, Go Along, Play Along
Related verbs: Collaborate
Derivative terms: Collaboration, Collaborative, Collaborator, Cooperation, Cooperation, Cooperative, Cooperative, Cooperator
5. Verb. Become part of; become a member of a group or organization. "He joined the Communist Party as a young man"
Specialized synonyms: Sign Up, Band Oneself, League Together, Organise, Organize, Unionise, Unionize, Affiliate, Rejoin, Infiltrate, Penetrate, Unify, Unite
Derivative terms: Joiner
Definition of Get together
1. Verb. to meet, to gather together, to congregate ¹
2. Verb. to accumulate, to gather ¹
3. Verb. to agree ¹
4. Verb. (idiomatic intransitive) To start dating; to start being a couple. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Get Together Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Get Together Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Get Together
Literary usage of Get together
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Teach Me English by Judy Mahoney (1999)
"t The More We get together The more we get together, together, together, The more we get together, the happier we'll be. For your friends are my friends And ..."
2. Teach Me Japanese by Judy Mahoney (1998)
"TRANSLATIONS PAGE 1 The More We get together The more we get together, together, together, The more we get together the happier we'll be. ..."
3. The Americanization of the World, Or, The Trend of the Twentieth Century by William Thomas Stead (1902)
"A'er/A American.] A UNITED STATES INSTEAD OF A STATE OF DISCORD. THE AMERICAN EAGLE.—" What you folks want is to get together and have an uncle of your own. ..."
4. Catalogue of Books Printed for Private Circulation by Bertram Dobell (1906)
"... whatever his wealth or good fortune, would seek in vain to get together such a unique collection. BEAUMONT (Sir John} The Poems of, for the first time ..."