¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Goanna
1. a large monitor lizard [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Goanna Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Goanna
Literary usage of Goanna
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Publications by English Dialect Society (1887)
"... "The money wades awee wi' buyin' bones an' goanna." Compare AS u-cuhm, to go, trudge, cognate with Lat. ..."
2. Austral English: A Dictionary of Australasian Words, Phrases, and Usages by Edward Ellis Morris (1898)
"See goanna. 1881. F. McCoy, 'Prodomus of the Natural History of Victoria,' Dec. 4: "Although the present Lace Lizard is generally arboreal, climbing the ..."
3. Australia and New Zealand by William Dickson Boyce (1922)
"The rn splotches, absorbs on its sticky •Australia, known as goanna" of the game birds " *|ot''oo>r'oa'Jof"rs ..."
4. Strengthening U.S.-Russian Cooperation on Nuclear Nonproliferation ...by Rossiĭskai︠a︡ akademii︠a︡ nauk by Rossiĭskai︠a︡ akademii︠a︡ nauk (2005)
"For instance, in 1986 in goanna, Brazil (during the loss of an unaccounted medical radiological source), response measures, such as defining evacuation ..."
5. The Folk-speech of South Cheshire by Thomas Darlington (1887)
"This might equally well be expressed as under (1) "The money wades awee wi' buyin* bones an' goanna. ..."