Definition of Gonorrhoea
1. Noun. A common venereal disease caused by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoeae; symptoms are painful urination and pain around the urethra.
Generic synonyms: Cupid's Disease, Cupid's Itch, Dose, Sexually Transmitted Disease, Social Disease, Std, Vd, Venereal Disease, Venereal Infection, Venus's Curse
Definition of Gonorrhoea
1. Noun. (alternative spelling of gonorrhea) ¹
2. Noun. (alternative spelling of gonorrhea) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Gonorrhoea
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gonorrhoea
Literary usage of Gonorrhoea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (U.S.) (1911)
"gonorrhoea, first attack 2 years ago; impotent 2 years; no evidence of gonorrhoea now 1 0 ... gonorrhoea 4 years ago 1 0 Case XXXI. gonorrhoea 3 years ago; ..."
2. A Treatise on the Venereal Disease by John Hunter, Ph. Ricord, Freeman Josiah Bumstead (1859)
"A bubo accompanying gonorrhoea is never syphilitic, as Hunter supposes, unless there exist, at the same time, a chancre, of which the bubo is the ..."
3. The Lancet (1898)
"He had no doubt that it was gonorrhoea, though he did not use a microscope. He agreed that the true character of the disease could only be determined ..."
4. The Pathology and treatment of venereal diseases: Including the Results of by Freeman Josiah Bumstead (1868)
"The symptoms of urethral gonorrhoea in the male first appear, as a general rule, ... Such are the symptoms of the early stage of gonorrhoea. ..."
5. Medical Record by George Frederick Shrady, Thomas Lathrop Stedman (1890)
"gonorrhoea as a Cause of Pelvic Inflammation.—DR. GRANVILLE BANTOCK opened a discussion on " The Importance of Gonorrhœa as a Cause of Inflammation of the ..."
6. Medical Lexicon: A Dictionary of Medical Science; Containing a Concise by Robley Dunglison (1874)
"gonorrhoea of every kind, attended with any inflammatory symptoms, is best treated by the ... Sometimes, gonorrhoea affects tho glans; when it is called ..."
7. Pathogenic Micro-organisms: Including Bacteria and Protozoa; a Practical by William Hallock Park, Anna Wessels Williams (1910)
"THE period at which gonorrhoea began to inflict man is unknown. ... Wherever civilized man has penetrated gonorrhoea is prevalent among the people. ..."
8. The Medical and Surgical Reporter (1894)
"If he did not have specific gonorrhoea, how could he have infected his wife ... If we admit that he did have specific gonorrhoea, and was cured in four or ..."