2. Noun. (US slang) A companion, pal, close friend, or associate, used especially among Italian-American men. It sometimes has the connotation of an older friend who acts as a patron, protector or adviser. ¹
3. Noun. (alternative form of gumbe), a Jamaican drum. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Goombah
1. an older man who is a friend [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Goombah Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Goombah
goombah (current term)
Literary usage of Goombah
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. 54 by Wu Ming (2005)
"Zollo took aim and emptied the magazine without stopping. The third shot hit its target: he saw Vic's brain spatter through the air. See you, goombah. ..."
2. A history of Jamaica by William James Gardner (1873)
"To beat the goombah all night, or in lieu of it a flat board, and to sing in accompaniment, was not uncommon among the slaves. ..."
3. Stranger to Death by Robert Della Valle (2000)
"But you, goombah, they don't know you." "So what the hell do you want me to do? Apply for a job for Christ's sake?" he shouted out of frustration. ..."