Definition of Graecizing
1. graecize [v] - See also: graecize
Lexicographical Neighbors of Graecizing
Literary usage of Graecizing
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Lectures and Essays on Subjects Connected with Latin Literature and Scholarship by Henry Nettleship (1885)
"Who were the representatives of the graecizing school of etymology ... 333), show that Santra was not averse to the graecizing method, and Aelius Stilo (p. ..."
2. The Roman Festivals of the Period of the Republic: An Introduction to the by William Warde Fowler (1908)
"... excellent opportunities to anthropomorphic tendencies of the graecizing school, while the others show those tendencies actually producing their results. ..."
3. The Living Age by Making of America Project, Eliakim Littell, Robert S. Littell (1893)
"sion from the period of Alexander, in Parthia the true graecizing series begins about 180 BC when its finest coins were issued. lu this direction then there ..."
4. The Encyclopædia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and by Hugh Chisholm (1911)
"... formed by the labours of his predecessors; the conflict between the archaistic and the graecizing schools was already settled in favour of the latter; ..."
5. Harvard Studies in Classical Philology, Volume 93 by Harvard University (1898)
"... and to some extent that of the other part of the foot, doing, in short, pretty much as he did in writing his loose dramatic verse (also graecizing). ..."
6. Researches Into the Early History of Mankind and the Development of Civilization by Edward Burnett Tylor (1870)
"1 The Greeks mistook the meaning of the gesture, and (as it seems) graecizing this name into Harpo- crates, adopted him as the god of silence. ..."
7. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General by Thomas Spencer Baynes (1888)
"At a later time the festival was extended over five days, and games were celebrated. This feature is evidently due to the graecizing conception of Minerva ..."