Definition of Graphic symbol
1. Noun. A written symbol that is used to represent speech. "The Greek alphabet has 24 characters"
Generic synonyms: Printed Symbol, Written Symbol
Specialized synonyms: Allograph, Check Character, Superior, Superscript, Inferior, Subscript, Ascii Character, Ligature, Capital, Capital Letter, Majuscule, Upper-case Letter, Uppercase, Lower-case Letter, Lowercase, Minuscule, Small Letter, Type, Percent Sign, Percentage Sign, Asterisk, Star, Dagger, Obelisk, Diesis, Double Dagger, Double Obelisk, Alphabetic Character, Letter, Letter Of The Alphabet, Blank, Space, Phonetic Symbol, Mathematical Symbol, Rune, Runic Letter, Pictograph, Ideogram, Ideograph, Radical, Stenograph
Derivative terms: Character
Lexicographical Neighbors of Graphic Symbol
Literary usage of Graphic symbol
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Principles of Chemical Philosophy by Josiah Parsons Cooke (1885)
"Represent the constitution of potassic manganate by a graphic symbol, and compare this with the graphic symbol of potassic sulphate. 26. ..."
2. The Teaching of Algebra (including Trigonometry) by Thomas Percy Nunn (1914)
"We may then conclude that the curve A is truly the graphic symbol of the ... It is important, therefore, to inquire how the graphic symbol of inverse ..."
3. Elements of Chemistry by Rufus Phillips Williams (1898)
"A semi-graphic symbol is H—NO3, but the complete structural symbol would be HON^„. The similarity to the symbol of water, HOH (in which NO2 takes the place ..."
4. The School Chemistry: A New Text-book for High Schools and Academies by Elroy McKendree Avery (1904)
"(a) The graphic symbol of H2O may be written H — O — H; ... A modification of the graphic symbol, often called the ..."
5. Evolution in Art: As Illustrated by the Life-histories of Designs by Alfred Cort Haddon (1907)
"The signification of a picto- graphic symbol can not be forgotten, for the sensation of the symbol directly recalls the image or the idea of the object; ..."