Definition of Greenbottle fly
1. Noun. Blowfly with brilliant coppery green body.
Generic synonyms: Blow Fly, Blowfly
Group relationships: Genus Lucilia, Lucilia
Greenbottle Fly Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Greenbottle Fly Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Greenbottle Fly
Literary usage of Greenbottle fly
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The House Fly, Disease Carrier: An Account of Its Dangerous Activities and by Leland Ossian Howard (1911)
"Its larvae are indistinguishable from those of the greenbottle fly. The eggs are laid on meat and dead animals and even upon dead insects. ..."
2. Medical and Veterinary Entomology: A Textbook for Use in Schools and by William Brodbeck Herms (1915)
"... the greenbottle fly, is not so commonly found indoors and is typically a scavenger fly. The life history of this species is somewhat shorter than that ..."
3. Library of Natural History by Richard Lydekker (1901)
"In one case the eggs of a greenbottle fly were laid on a toad's back, and the larvae upon hatching migrated into its eyes. In other cases the laying of the ..."
4. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1914)
"Whiting, PW—Heredity of bristles in the common greenbottle fly, Lucilia sericata. A study of factors governing distribution, 3, xlviii, 339-55. ..."