Definition of Grimes
1. Proper noun. (surname A=An English dot=), derived from Gaelic ''grime'' meaning helmet maker and Gaelic ''grimes'' meaning helmet makers son ¹
2. Verb. (third-person singular of grime) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Grimes
1. grime [v] - See also: grime
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Grimes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Grimes
grimes (current term)
Literary usage of Grimes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1912)
"The defendant resisted the claim as the assignee of Hiram grimes, who is a devisee of the land by a codicil to the last will of Eliab grimes, ..."
2. The State Records of North Carolina by North Carolina, Walter Clark, William Laurence Saunders, Stephen Beauregard Weeks (1910)
"grimes, Absalom, in militia, 22. 345. grimes, Barnabas, asks for new county, 9. ... grimes, Elisha, army rank, 16. 1062. grimes, John, receives pay for ..."
3. Wethersfield Inscriptions: A Complete Record of the Inscriptions in the Five by Edward Sweetser Tillotson (1899)
"In memory of | Josiah grimes | who died Jan. 13th | AD. ... In memory of Mrs. Mehitabel grimes, Second wife of I Mr. Josiah grimes. | She died Sept. ..."
4. The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans ...by John Howard Brown by John Howard Brown (1904)
"grimes devoted himself to the care of his estate and to historical study. ... 2, 1828; son of Bryan and Nancy grimes; and grandson of William grimes, ..."
5. The Journal of the Joint Committee of Fifteen on Reconstruction: 39th by Benjamin Burks Kendrick (1914)
"2 grimes' chief service in the Senate during the war was rendered as chairman of the committee on naval affairs. Theodore Tilton said of him : " Senator ..."
6. American Ballads and Songs by Louise Pound (1922)
"96 THE COURTSHIP OF BILLY grimes "Tomorrow, Pa, I'm sweet sixteen, ... "Old grimes is dead, you know, Papa, and Billy is so lonely, Old grimes is dead, ..."