Definition of Gustavus ii
1. Noun. King of Sweden whose victories in battle made Sweden a European power; his domestic reforms made Sweden a modern state; in 1630 he intervened on the Protestant side of the Thirty Years' War and was killed in the battle of Lutzen (1594-1632).
Gustavus Ii Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gustavus Ii Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gustavus Ii
Literary usage of Gustavus ii
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Routledge's Every Boy's Annual by Edmund Routledge (1886)
"HEROES OF EUROPEAN HISTORY. BY HENRY FRITH. gustavus ii. OF SWEDEN. CHAPTER I.—EARLY DAYS.—GUSTAVUS SUCCEEDS HIS FATHER.—His SEARCH FOR A WIFE. ..."
2. The Blue Book of Biography by Charles Morris (1911)
"Gustavus Adolphus, or Gustavus II., King of Sweden, son of Charles IX., and grandson of Gustavus Vasa, was born at Stockholm, December 9, 1594, and ascended ..."
3. Comprehensive Dictionary of Biography: Containing Succinct Accounts of the by Edward A. Thomas (1888)
"Gustavus, escaping from prison, fled to the mountains of Dale- carlia and suffered great hardships, Gustavus II. See GUSTAVUS ADOLPHUS. ..."
4. Class Catalogue and Author Index of the Osterhout Free Library, Wilkes-Barre by Osterhout Free Library, Wilkes-Barre, Pa (1889)
"H. (G.) de. Mons. Guizot in Private Life. 1881 . 884 694 gustavus ii, ... PHUS, see Gustavus II, King of Sweden. GUTENBERG, JOHANN. ..."
5. Catalogue of the General Assembly Library of New Zealand by Basil E. Seymour Stocker, Edward Samuel, Herbert Louis James, Charles H. Streeton (1897)
"See Gustavus II. Adolphus. Gustavus II. Adolphus, King of Sweden. [Works about.] See, also. Thirty years' war. Gustavus II ..."