Definition of Gymnelis
1. Noun. A genus of Zoarcidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Zoarcidae, Zoarcidae
Member holonyms: Fish Doctor, Gymnelis Viridis
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gymnelis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gymnelis
Literary usage of Gymnelis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Fishes in the British Museum by Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1862)
"Coloration uniform. (Jen.) Archipelago of Chiloe. 2. gymnelis. ... Arctic Seas of America. (South coast of England.) 1. gymnelis viridis. ..."
2. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1864)
"... transferred it to the genus gymnelis; the first originally under the name of ... gymnelis Reinh., is the representative of a peculiar family ..."
3. Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1907)
"Numerous related genera are recorded from deep-sea explorations, and several others occur about Tierra del Fuego. gymnelis, small, naked species brightly ..."
4. The Last of the Arctic Voyages: Being a Narrative of the Expedition in H. M by Edward Belcher, John Richardson, Richard Owen, Thomas Bell, John William Salter, Lovell Reeve (1855)
"The specimen we have figured was obtained by Sir Edward Belcher, in Northumberland Sound, and is so like gymnelis viridis in its general form and structure, ..."