Definition of Gynostegium
1. Noun. The crown of the stamen in plants of the genus Asclepias.
Medical Definition of Gynostegium
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gynostegium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gynostegium
Literary usage of Gynostegium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Flora of the Southern United States: Containing an Abridged Description of by Alvan Wentworth Chapman (1897)
"... reddish purple; leaves of the crown flesh-color, ovate, as long aa the »lender incurved horns, and twice as long as the short-stalked gynostegium. ..."
2. Flora australiensis: a description of the plants of the Australian territory by George Bentham (1869)
"Corona of 5 small laterally compressed segments, adnate to the gynostegium at the base, with free incurved falcate points considerably shorter than the ..."
3. Flora Hongkongensis: A Description of the Flowering Plants and Ferns of the by George. Bentham (1861)
"Stamina! corona of 5 lobes or scales on the gynostegium. ... Staminal corona annular, inserted at the base of the gynostegium, with 5 erect lobes or nearly ..."
4. Hand-book of Indian Flora: Being a Guide to All the Flowering Plants by Herber Drury (1866)
"... flexures : leaflets of the stamina! crown nearly a half shorter than the gynostegium, broad-elliptic, obtuse: pollen-masses transverse : stigma convex. ..."
5. Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club by Torrey Botanical Club (1907)
"... crown segments attached to the base of gynostegium and of the corolla, equalling the column in length, somewhat incurved, ligulate, bifid at the apex, ..."
6. The Treasury of Botany: A Popular Dictionary of the Vegetable Kingdom; with by John Lindley (1866)
"Inserted on the summit of the gynostegium i and surpassing the stigma. The anthers | are surrounded by a spreading membrane | which attaches them to the ..."