Definition of Gyromitra
1. Noun. Any fungus of the genus Gyromitra.
Specialized synonyms: California False Morel, Gyromitra Californica, Gyromitra Sphaerospora, Round-spored Gyromitra, Beefsteak Morel, Brain Mushroom, Gyromitra Esculenta, Gyromitra Infula, Saddled-shaped False Morel, Gyromitra Gigas
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gyromitra Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gyromitra
Literary usage of Gyromitra
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Mushroom Book: A Popular Guide to the Identification and Study of Our by Nina Lovering Marshall (1901)
"... GENUS gyromitra • The genus gyromitra contains seven species. These have the ascomata distinctly stalked, and the upper surface covered with ..."
2. Moulds, Mildews, and Mushrooms: A Guide to the Systematic Study of the Fungi by Lucien Marcus Underwood (1899)
"Among the most common genera are Morchella and gyromitra, both of which ... gyromitra. 4. Pileus campanulate. VERPA. Pileus flat or arched, almost discoid. ..."
3. Journal of Mycology by William Ashbrook Kellerman, Job Bicknell Ellis, Benjamin Matlack Everhart (1902)
"gyromitra ESCULENTA Fries, SV Scand. 1849. Helvella esculenta Persoon, Comm. 1800. ... gyromitra BRUNNEA Underwood, Proceedings Indiana Academy of Science. ..."
4. The State of Missouri: An Autobiography by Walter Williams (1904)
"In addition, the giant gyromitra (gyromitra esculenta), several species of Lactarius, etc., are not uncommon. Decaying elm and willow logs of the low woods ..."