Definition of Hakka dialect
1. Noun. A dialect of Chinese spoken in southeastern China by the Hakka.
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hakka Dialect
Literary usage of Hakka dialect
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. L. Richard's ... Comprehensive Geography of the Chinese Empire and by Louis Richard, M. Kennelly (1908)
"hakka dialect. Rey. — Dictionnaire Hac-ka-Français. Dyer Ball J. — Hakka made easy. — Easy Sentences in the hakka dialect, with a Vocabulary. ..."
2. Notes and Queries on China and Japan (1867)
"We reckon not less than 18j sounds which are in use in the hakka dialect and ... But though the hakka dialect I approaches indeed somewhat nearly to the ..."
3. The China Mission Hand-book (1896)
"The former includes the territory in which the Tie-chiu dialect is spoken, and the latter that in whicli the hakka dialect is spoken. ..."
4. Chinese Clay Figures by Berthold Laufer (1914)
"Pei-ngan is in the hakka dialect p'ak-am (compare Dictionnaire chinois-français dialecte Hac-ka by Сн. REY), in Cantonese pak-om, in Yang-chou puk-ya. ш ..."
5. Standard Alphabet for Reducing Unwritten Languages and Foreign Graphic by Richard Lepsius (1863)
"The hakka dialect, as well as most of the southern Chinese dialects, admits besides n and m other consonants at the end of words. ..."
6. The Chinese Recorder and Missionary Journal (1881)
"We cordially recommend it to all students of the hakka dialect. It is on sale in Hongkong at Messrs. Kelly and Walsh. The Foreigner in China, by LN Wheeler, ..."
7. Bulletin of the New York Public Library by New York Public Library (1909)
"... (Ch.) Remarks on the Syllabary of the hakka dialect by Mr. EH Parker [p. 205]. (China Rev. Hongkong, 1879. 8°. v. 7, pp. 316- 318. ..."
8. Things Chinese: Or, Notes Connected with China by James Dyer Ball (1904)
"The present author's 'Easy Sentences in the hakka dialect, with a Vocabulary,' 2nd edition, price $i ; this is prepared simply for those who wish to acquire ..."