Definition of Hard cash
1. Noun. Money in the form of bills or coins. "There is a desperate shortage of hard cash"
Generic synonyms: Currency
Specialized synonyms: Change, Change, Chickenfeed, Chump Change, Small Change, Pin Money, Pocket Money, Spending Money, Cold Cash, Ready Cash, Ready Money
Derivative terms: Cash
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hard Cash
Literary usage of Hard cash
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Library of the World's Best Literature: Ancient and Modern by Edward Cornelius Towne (1898)
"This *• ^ book, originally published in 1863, as ' Very hard cash' is an alleged «exposure» of the abuses of private insane asylums in England and of the ..."
2. Public Papers of George Clinton, First Governor of New York, 1777-1795, 1801 by George Clinton, New York (State). Governor, 1801-1804 (George Clinton), Hugh Hastings, James Austin Holden, New York (State). State Historian (1902)
"Your Excellency may Remember in Conversation, I mentioned 'hat there was a probability of getting some hard Cash from Long Island if thought proper, ..."
3. The Library of Literary Criticism of English and American Authors by Charles Wells Moulton (1904)
"... was strewn with enormous sheets of tinted paper, upon which he was writing, in a bold and heavy hand, a forthcoming installment of " hard cash. ..."
4. Report of the Proceedings by Church congress (1882)
"If we are to be successful in life, we ought to have hard hands, power to labour: and hard heads, skill and intellect; and hard cash, by which I mean ..."
5. Charles Reade, Dramatist, Novelist, Journalist: A Memoir by Charles L. Reade (1887)
"hard cash. FOR once the public and the critics were unanimous, and the chorus of approval which greeted 'The Cloister and the Hearth' gave its author heart ..."
6. Young America in Wall-Street by George Francis Train (1857)
"Chatterton committed the most startling forgery the world ever saw when but seventeen, and then committed suicide—all for a little hard cash. ..."