Definition of Hawks
1. Noun. (plural of hawk) ¹
2. Verb. (third-person singular of hawk) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Hawks
1. hawk [v] - See also: hawk
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hawks Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hawks
Literary usage of Hawks
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1896)
"109) is said to 1 hawks and Owls from the Standpoint of the Farmer. By AK Fisher, MI)., Assistant Ornithologist, l". S. Department of Agriculture. ..."
2. Report on the Birds of Pennsylvania: With Special Reference to the Food by Pennsylvania Ornithologist, Benjamin Harry Warren (1890)
"167 hawks; 49 owls, "also quite an amount for foxes, minks and weasels. ... 34 hawks ; 8 owls. Crawford.—" Bounty account not kept so as to show how many of ..."
3. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1902)
"Several flocks of broad- winged hawks of from ten to fifteen observed; 4 adult bald eagles; ... All the hawks which were observed yesterday, common to-day. ..."
4. The Year Book of Daily Recreation and Information: Concerning Remarkable Men ...by William Hone by William Hone (1841)
"The second way was to fly hawks at the heron in her passage, that is, ... There were two flights of hawks for the crow. Of the first flight there was a ..."
5. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: “a” Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature edited by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"The management of sparrow-hawks is much the same as that of goshawks, but they are far ... In the East large numbers of quail are taken with sparrow-hawks. ..."
6. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences and General (1890)
"Falcons and hawks were allotted to degrees aud orders of men .according to rank and ... In Europe the game or "quarry" at which hawks are flown consists of ..."