Definition of Head
1. Noun. The upper part of the human body or the front part of the body in animals; contains the face and brains. "He stuck his head out the window"
Group relationships: Animal, Animate Being, Beast, Brute, Creature, Fauna, Body, Organic Structure, Physical Structure
Terms within: Muzzle, Ear, Arteria Basilaris, Basilar Artery, Brain, Encephalon, Skull, Face, Human Face, Temple
Generic synonyms: External Body Part
Specialized synonyms: Human Head
2. Verb. To go or travel towards. "They head up the hill"; "We were headed for the mountains"
Specialized synonyms: Make, Take
Derivative terms: Heading
3. Noun. A single domestic animal. "200 head of cattle"
4. Verb. Be in charge of. "They head him to write the letter"; "Who is heading this project?"
Generic synonyms: Direct
Specialized synonyms: Chair, Chairman, Captain, Spearhead, Take Charge, Take Control, Take Hold
Derivative terms: Lead, Leader
5. Noun. That which is responsible for one's thoughts and feelings; the seat of the faculty of reason. "I couldn't get his words out of my head"
Generic synonyms: Cognition, Knowledge, Noesis
Specialized synonyms: Noddle, Tabula Rasa, Ego, Unconscious, Unconscious Mind, Subconscious, Subconscious Mind
Derivative terms: Mind, Psychic, Psychical
6. Verb. Travel in front of; go in advance of others. "The procession was headed by John"
Generic synonyms: Lead, Precede
Specialized synonyms: Draw Away
Related verbs: Head Up
Derivative terms: Leader
7. Noun. A person who is in charge. "The head of the whole operation"
Generic synonyms: Leader
Specialized synonyms: Administrator, Executive, Administrator, Decision Maker, Capo, Department Head, Don, Father, General, Superior General, General Manager, Grand Dragon, Head Of Household, Secretary
Derivative terms: Headship
8. Verb. Be the first or leading member of (a group) and excel. "This student heads the class"
9. Noun. The front of a military formation or procession. "They were at the head of the attack"
Generic synonyms: Formation
Derivative terms: Heady
10. Verb. Direct the course; determine the direction of travelling. "The men head the boat "
Specialized synonyms: Dock, Sheer, Pull Over, Helm, Crab, Navigate, Stand Out, Starboard, Conn, Navigate, Pilot, Canalise, Canalize, Channel, Corner, Tree, Park
Generic synonyms: Command, Control
Derivative terms: Channelisation, Guide, Guide, Heading, Maneuverable, Maneuverer, Manoeuvre, Steerage, Steerer, Steering, Steering
11. Noun. The pressure exerted by a fluid. ; "A head of steam"
12. Verb. Take its rise. "These rivers head from a mountain range in the Himalayas"
13. Noun. The top of something. "The head of the list"
14. Verb. Be in the front of or on top of. "The list was headed by the name of the president"
15. Noun. The source of water from which a stream arises. "They tracked him back toward the head of the stream"
16. Verb. Form a head or come or grow to a head. "The wheat headed early this year"
17. Noun. (grammar) the word in a grammatical constituent that plays the same grammatical role as the whole constituent.
18. Verb. Remove the head of. "Head the fish"
19. Noun. The tip of an abscess (where the pus accumulates).
20. Noun. The length or height based on the size of a human or animal head. "His horse won by a head"
21. Noun. A dense cluster of flowers or foliage. "A head of lettuce"
22. Noun. The educator who has executive authority for a school. "She sent unruly pupils to see the principal"
Specialized synonyms: Chancellor, Headmaster, Master, Schoolmaster, Headmistress
Generic synonyms: Educator, Pedagog, Pedagogue
Derivative terms: Headship, Headship, Principalship
23. Noun. An individual person. "Tickets are $5 per head"
24. Noun. A user of (usually soft) drugs. "The office was full of secret heads"
Specialized synonyms: Acid Head, Hash Head, Pill Head, Pothead
Generic synonyms: Drug User, Substance Abuser, User
25. Noun. A natural elevation (especially a rocky one that juts out into the sea).
Specialized synonyms: Cape Horn, Calpe, Gibraltar, Rock Of Gibraltar, Cape Hatteras, Cape Canaveral, Cape Kennedy, Cape Sable, Abila, Abyla, Jebel Musa
Specialized synonyms: Mull, Point
Generic synonyms: Elevation, Natural Elevation
26. Noun. A rounded compact mass. "The head of a comet"
27. Noun. The foam or froth that accumulates at the top when you pour an effervescent liquid into a container. "The beer had a large head of foam"
28. Noun. The part in the front or nearest the viewer. "He was at the head of the column"
29. Noun. A difficult juncture. "Matters came to a head yesterday"
30. Noun. Forward movement. "The ship made little headway against the gale"
31. Noun. A V-shaped mark at one end of an arrow pointer. "The point of the arrow was due north"
32. Noun. The subject matter at issue. "Under the head of minor Roman poets"
Generic synonyms: Subject, Theme, Topic
Specialized synonyms: Problem, Matter Of Fact, Question Of Fact, Matter Of Law, Question Of Law
33. Noun. A line of text serving to indicate what the passage below it is about. "The heading seemed to have little to do with the text"
Specialized synonyms: Crosshead, Crossheading, Headline, Newspaper Headline, Lemma, Rubric, Running Head, Running Headline, Subhead, Subheading, Rubric, Statute Title, Title
Generic synonyms: Line
34. Noun. The rounded end of a bone that fits into a rounded cavity in another bone to form a joint. "The head of the humerus"
35. Noun. That part of a skeletal muscle that is away from the bone that it moves.
Group relationships: Skeletal Muscle, Striated Muscle
36. Noun. (computer science) a tiny electromagnetic coil and metal pole used to write and read magnetic patterns on a disk.
Generic synonyms: Coil
Category relationships: Computer Science, Computing
37. Noun. (usually plural) the obverse side of a coin that usually bears the representation of a person's head. "Call heads or tails!"
38. Noun. The striking part of a tool. "The head of the hammer"
Specialized synonyms: Club Head, Club-head, Clubhead, Golf-club Head, Hammerhead
Group relationships: Hammer, Ram
Generic synonyms: Striker
39. Noun. (nautical) a toilet on board a boat or ship.
40. Noun. A projection out from one end. "A pinhead is the head of a pin"
Specialized synonyms: Pinhead
Generic synonyms: Projection
41. Noun. A membrane that is stretched taut over a drum.
42. Noun. Oral stimulation of the genitals. "They say he gives good head"
Generic synonyms: Perversion, Sexual Perversion
Specialized synonyms: Cunnilinctus, Cunnilingus, Fellatio, Fellation, Sixty-nine, Soixante-neuf
Definition of Head
1. suffix. A variant of -hood.
2. n. The anterior or superior part of an animal, containing the brain, or chief ganglia of the nervous system, the mouth, and in the higher animals, the chief sensory organs; poll; cephalon.
3. a. Principal; chief; leading; first; as, the head master of a school; the head man of a tribe; a head chorister; a head cook.
4. v. t. To be at the head of; to put one's self at the head of; to lead; to direct; to act as leader to; as, to head an army, an expedition, or a riot.
5. v. i. To originate; to spring; to have its source, as a river.
Definition of Head
1. Proper noun. (surname from=Middle English dot=), from residence near a hilltop or the head of a river, or a byname for someone with an odd-looking head. ¹
2. Noun. The part of the body of an animal or human which contains the brain, mouth(,) and main sense organs. ¹
3. Noun. Mental or emotional aptitude or skill. ¹
4. Noun. Mind; one's own thoughts. ¹
5. Noun. The topmost, foremost, or leading part. ¹
6. Noun. The end of a rectangular table furthest from the entrance; traditionally considered a seat of honor. ¹
7. Noun. (billiards) The end of a pool table opposite the end where the balls have been racked. ¹
8. Noun. The principal operative part of a simple machine or tool. ¹
9. Noun. The source of a river; the end of a lake where a river flows into it. ¹
10. Noun. The front, as of a queue. ¹
11. Noun. Headway; progress. ¹
12. Noun. The foam that forms on top of beer or other carbonated beverages. ¹
13. Noun. Leader; chief; mastermind. ¹
14. Noun. A headmaster or headmistress. ¹
15. Noun. A headache; especially one resulting from intoxication. ¹
16. Noun. A clump of leaves or flowers; a capitulum. ¹
17. Noun. (anatomy) The rounded part of a bone fitting into a depression in another bone to form a ball-and-socket joint. ¹
18. Noun. An individual person. ¹
19. Noun. (uncountable measure word for livestock and game) A single animal. ¹
20. Noun. The population of game. ¹
21. Noun. Topic; subject. ¹
22. Noun. (linguistics) A morpheme that determines the category of a compound or the word that determines the syntactic type of the phrase of which it is a member. ¹
23. Noun. (jazz) The principal melody or theme of a piece. ¹
24. Noun. (British geology) Deposits near the top of a geological succession. ¹
25. Noun. (medicine) The end of an abscess where pus collects. ¹
26. Noun. denouement; crisis ¹
27. Noun. A machine element which reads or writes electromagnetic signals to or from a storage medium. ¹
28. Noun. (music) The headstock of a guitar. ¹
29. Noun. (music) A drum head, the membrane which is hit to produce sound. ¹
30. Noun. (engineering) The end cap of a cylindrically-shaped pressure vessel. ¹
31. Noun. (automotive) The cylinder head, a platform above the cylinders in an internal combustion engine, containing the valves and spark plugs. ¹
32. Noun. A buildup of fluid pressure, often quantified as pressure head. ¹
33. Noun. (fluid dynamics) The difference in elevation between two points in a column of fluid, and the resulting pressure of the fluid at the lower point. ¹
34. Noun. (fluid dynamics) More generally, energy in a mass of fluid divided by its weight. ¹
35. Noun. (nautical) The top edge of a sail. ¹
36. Noun. (nautical) The bow of a nautical vessel. ¹
37. Noun. (nautical) The toilet of a ship. ¹
38. Noun. (uncountable slang) Fellatio or cunnilingus; oral sex. ¹
39. Noun. (slang) The glans penis. ¹
40. Noun. (countable slang) A heavy or habitual user of illicit drugs. ¹
41. Noun. (British) A headland. ¹
42. Noun. (computing) The part of hard drives responsible for reading and writing data. ¹
43. Adjective. Of, relating to, or intended for the head. ¹
44. Adjective. Foremost in rank or importance. ¹
45. Adjective. Placed at the top or the front. ¹
46. Adjective. Coming from in front. ¹
47. Verb. (transitive) To be in command of. - see also head up ¹
48. Verb. (transitive) To strike with the head; as in soccer, ''to head the ball'' ¹
49. Verb. (intransitive) To move in a specified direction. ''heading towards something'' ¹
50. Verb. (fishing) To remove the head from a fish. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Head
1. to be chief of [v -ED, -ING, -S]
Medical Definition of Head
1. To be at the head of; to put one's self at the head of; to lead; to direct; to act as leader to; as, to head an army, an expedition, or a riot.
2. To form a head to; to fit or furnish with a head; as, to head a nail.
3. To behead; to decapitate.
4. To cut off the top of; to lop off; as, to head trees.
5. To go in front of; to get in the front of, so as to hinder or stop; to oppose; hence, to check or restrain; as, to head a drove of cattle; to head a person; the wind heads a ship.
6. To set on the head; as, to head a cask. To head off, to intercept; to get before; as, an officer heads off a thief who is escaping. To head up, to close, as a cask or barrel, by fitting a head to.
Origin: Headed; Heading.
1. The anterior or superior part of an animal, containing the brain, or chief ganglia of the nervous system, the mouth, and in the higher animals, the chief sensory organs; poll; cephalon.
2. The uppermost, foremost, or most important part of an inanimate object; such a part as may be considered to resemble the head of an animal; often, also, the larger, thicker, or heavier part or extremity, in distinction from the smaller or thinner part, or from the point or edge; as, the head of a cane, a nail, a spear, an ax, a mast, a sail, a ship; that which covers and closes the top or the end of a hollow vessel; as, the head of a cask or a steam boiler.
3. The place where the head should go; as, the head of a bed, of a grave, etc.; the head of a carriage, that is, the hood which covers the head.
4. The most prominent or important member of any organised body; the chief; the leader; as, the head of a college, a school, a church, a state, and the like. "Their princes and heads." "The heads of the chief sects of philosophy." (Tillotson) "Your head I him appoint." (Milton)
5. The place or honor, or of command; the most important or foremost position; the front; as, the head of the table; the head of a column of soldiers. "An army of fourscore thousand troops, with the duke Marlborough at the head of them." (Addison)
6. Each one among many; an individual; often used in a plural sense; as, a thousand head of cattle. "It there be six millions of people, there are about four acres for every head." (Graunt)
7. The seat of the intellect; the brain; the understanding; the mental faculties; as, a good head, that is, a good mind; it never entered his head, it did not occur to him; of his own head, of his own thought or will. "Men who had lost both head and heart." (Macaulay)
8. The source, fountain, spring, or beginning, as of a stream or river; as, the head of the Nile; hence, the altitude of the source, or the height of the surface, as of water, above a given place, as above an orifice at which it issues, and the pressure resulting from the height or from motion; sometimes also, the quantity in reserve; as, a mill or reservoir has a good head of water, or ten feet head; also, that part of a gulf or bay most remote from the outlet or the sea.
9. A headland; a promontory; as, Gay Head.
10. A separate part, or topic, of a discourse; a theme to be expanded; a subdivision; as, the heads of a sermon.
11. Culminating point or crisis; hence, strength; force; height. "Ere foul sin, gathering head, shall break into corruption." (Shak) "The indisposition which has long hung upon me, is at last grown to such a head, that it must quickly make an end of me or of itself." (Addison)
12. Power; armed force. "My lord, my lord, the French have gathered head." (Shak)
13. A headdress; a covering of the head; as, a laced head; a head of hair.
14. An ear of wheat, barley, or of one of the other small cereals.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Head Images