Definition of Head ache
1. Noun. Pain in the head caused by dilation of cerebral arteries or muscle contractions or a reaction to drugs.
Generic synonyms: Ache, Aching
Specialized synonyms: Cluster Headache, Histamine Headache, Hemicrania, Megrim, Migraine, Sick Headache, Sick Headache, Sinus Headache, Tension Headache
Head Ache Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Head Ache Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Head Ache
Literary usage of Head ache
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Gentleman's Magazine (1807)
"... water in the cure of the head.ache, tag, that Mr. Sims ... to his with a nervous head-ache : I may al. friend of the very ..."
2. Leechdoms, Wortcunning, and Starcraft of Early England: Being a Collection by Thomas Oswald Cockayne, Sextus Placitus, Dioscorides Pedanius (1864)
"For old and constant head ache, pound the wort which hight beet, ... For head ache, take betony and pepper, pound together, let them hang one night in a ..."
3. American Public Health Protection by Henry Bixby Hemenway, Edwin Frederick Bowers, Mary Sewall Gardner (1916)
"CHAPTER VI WHY DOES A head ache ? FOR ages humanity has raved about the "sympathetic" heart. Medals and iron crosses galore have been pinned upon it for ..."
4. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (U.S.) (1835)
"For a day or two past has complained of head-ache, and inability to sleep at night; pulse rather quick but weak; tongue natural; no increased heat of ..."
5. The Improved Housewife: Or Book of Receipts, with Engravings for Marketing by A. L. Webster (1855)
"For the Sick head ache. Every other night, for a while, soak the feet on going to bed, in hot water half an hour, adding hot water occasionally ..."