Definition of Hearing impairment
1. Noun. Impairment of the sense of hearing.
Generic synonyms: Disability, Disablement, Handicap, Impairment
Specialized synonyms: Deafness, Hearing Loss, Conduction Deafness, Conductive Hearing Loss, Middle-ear Deafness, Auditory Hyperesthesia, Hyperacusia, Hyperacusis, Nerve Deafness, Sensorineural Hearing Loss
Medical Definition of Hearing impairment
1. Hearing loss A reduction in the ability to perceive sound; may range from slight to complete deafness. See: deafness, threshold shift. (05 Mar 2000)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hearing Impairment
Literary usage of Hearing impairment
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Healthy People 2000: National Health Promotion & Disease Prevention by DIANE Publishing Company (2004)
"(Baseline: Average of 88.9 per 1000 during 1986-88) Special Population Target hearing impairment (per 1000) 1986-88 Baseline 2000 Target Percent Decrease ..."
2. The Women's Health and Aging Study: Health and Social Characteristics of edited by Jack M. Guralnik, Linda P. Fried, Eleanor M. Simonsick, Judith D. Kasper, Mary E. Lafferty (1996)
"hearing impairment was not significantly or independently associated with disability in the ... hearing impairment, assessed with a speech recognition task, ..."
3. Handbook of Severe Disability: A Text for Rehabilitation Counselors, Other edited by Walter C. Stolov, Michael R. Clowers (2000)
"The examples of the major causes of hearing impairment discussed here are ... FUNCTIONAL DISABILITIES The extent to which a hearing impairment disables an ..."
4. Healthy People 2000 by DIANE Publishing Company (1995)
"17.6 Reduce significant hearing impairment to a prevalence of no more than 82 per 1000 people. (Baseline: Average of 88.9 per 1000 during 1986-88) Special ..."
5. Guide To Clinical Preventive Services by U. S. Preventive Services Task Force (1989)
"gest an association between hearing impairment during early childhood and poor performance on speech and language tests,1'27'28 but the méthodologie design ..."
6. Otitis Media with Effusion in Young Children: Clinical Practice Guideline by Sylvan E. Stool (1998)
"The association between congenital or early-onset hearing impairment, particularly sensorineural hearing loss, and impaired speech and language development ..."