Definition of Heart cherry
1. Noun. Any of several cultivated sweet cherries having sweet juicy heart-shaped fruits.
2. Noun. Large heart-shaped sweet cherry with soft flesh.
Generic synonyms: Black Cherry, Sweet Cherry
Specialized synonyms: Blackheart, Blackheart Cherry
Lexicographical Neighbors of Heart Cherry
Literary usage of Heart cherry
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Practical Guide to Garden Plants by John Weathers (1901)
"The tree has a free drooping habit and succeeds well as a standard. Elton (B). — A delicious Bed heart cherry, ripe early in July. ..."
2. The Horticulturist, and Journal of Rural Art and Rural Tasteby Luther Tucker by Luther Tucker (1852)
"1756, May 11, our heart cherry trees, pear and plums, are blossoming. ... 1760, May 10, the heart cherry trees begin to blossom, earlier than last year, ..."
3. Publications of the Colonial Society of Massachusetts by Colonial Society of Massachusetts (1905)
"the 3d on the same side is a black May heart Cherry grafted at the same time, in the same place. — The 5* on the same side is a Duke cherry D?D? ..."
4. The British Fruit-gardener: And Art of Pruning: Comprising, the Most by John Abercrombie (1781)
"BLEEDING heart cherry. Middle or end of 'July. OX-heart cherry. Middle and end of July. ... CROWN heart cherry. July. MORELLO CHERRY. ..."
5. Turning and Mechanical Manipulation: Intended as a Work of General Reference by Charles Holtzapffel (1846)
"The wood of the black-heart cherry-tree is considered to be the best. " The Spanish American cherry- tree is very elastic, and is used for felucca masts. ..."
6. The Antiquary by Edward Walford, John Charles Cox, George Latimer Apperson (1900)
"4'" Bloody heart Cherry 5<h Violet hative Nectarine 6"1 Crown Cherry . ... next a great large red heart Cherry [shorthand] Then ye East Wall small Peach ..."