Definition of Hemipteron
1. Noun. Insects with sucking mouthparts and forewings thickened and leathery at the base; usually show incomplete metamorphosis.
Generic synonyms: Insect
Group relationships: Hemiptera, Order Hemiptera
Specialized synonyms: Leaf Bug, Plant Bug, Lygaeid, Lygaeid Bug, Coreid, Coreid Bug, Bed Bug, Bedbug, Chinch, Cimex Lectularius, Backswimmer, Notonecta Undulata, True Bug
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hemipteron Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hemipteron
Literary usage of Hemipteron
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Entomologist's Monthly Magazine by Nathaniel Lloyd and Company (1903)
"... in which, also, another little hemipteron was enclosed; the following morning 1 found the latter sucked dry. Further, I once observed a ..."
2. A Laboratory Guide to the Study of Parasitology by William Brodbeck Herms (1913)
"C. hemipteron type. A very different sort of organ than the above described types is found in the Hemiptera. Here the labium forms a prominent beak, ..."
3. The Entomologist's Record and Journal of Variation by James William Tutt (1890)
"Mr. West ( Green wich) exhibited specimens of the hemipteron, ... Mr. West, of Greenwich, a series of the local hemipteron, ..."
4. Proceedings of the Hawaiian Entomological Society by Hawaiian Entomological Society (1906)
"Homomorph, as, eg, a hemipteron, than in an ... so greatly that a biologic note on any hemipteron save a destructive pest is a matter for happy surprise. ..."