Definition of Herpes genitalis
1. Noun. An infection caused by herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) that is usually transmitted by sexual contact; marked by recurrent attacks of painful eruptions on the skin and mucous membranes of the genital area.
Generic synonyms: Herpes Simplex, Cupid's Disease, Cupid's Itch, Dose, Sexually Transmitted Disease, Social Disease, Std, Vd, Venereal Disease, Venereal Infection, Venus's Curse
Medical Definition of Herpes genitalis
Lexicographical Neighbors of Herpes Genitalis
Literary usage of Herpes genitalis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The British Journal of Dermatology by British Association of Dermatology (1905)
"The paper is a most philosophical one and well worth study, but is exceedingly difficult to abstract. EGL NERVOUS REACTION IN THE COURSE OF herpes genitalis ..."
2. International Medical and Surgical Surveyby American Institute of Medicine by American Institute of Medicine (1922)
"After transferring the vesicle contents in a case of herpes genitalis to the ... These experiments show the identity of the virus of herpes genitalis and ..."
3. The Medico-chirurgical Review (1825)
"herpes genitalis. herpes genitalis is a common affection. ... herpes genitalis is assumed as a generic term, and implies a slight and circumscribed ..."
4. A Text-book on Minor Surgery by John Colin Vaughan (1922)
"herpes genitalis. -This condition occurs fairly frequently on the genitals. It may be associated with herpes of the groin or lower part of the trunk. ..."
5. An Index of differential diagnosis of main symptoms by Herbert French (1918)
"The favourite situations of the vesicles in herpes genitalis are, in men, ... In some cases there may be doubt as between herpes genitalis and tn chancre, ..."