Definition of Heterodon
1. Noun. A genus of small colubrid snakes containing the North American hognose snakes.
Generic synonyms: Reptile Genus
Group relationships: Colubridae, Family Colubridae
Member holonyms: Hognose Snake, Puff Adder, Sand Viper
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Heterodon Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Heterodon
Literary usage of Heterodon
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Reptile Book: A Comprehensive, Popularised Work on the Structure and by Raymond Lee Ditmars (1907)
"With the species of heterodon, the dentition differs from that of the greater number of the harmless, colubrine snakes. On each side of the back portion of ..."
2. The Reptiles of Western North America: An Account of the Species Known to by John Van Denburgh (1922)
"This Diadophis is the largest species of the genus. Genus 27. heterodon heterodon LATREILLE, Hist. Nat. Rept., Vol. 4, 1802, p. ..."
3. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"(1) heterodon, Beauv. The usual plates of a Coluber, but the end of the muzzle is one single piece, short, and resembling in form a slightly elevated trie- ..."
4. Exploration of the Red River of Louisiana, in the Year 1852 by Randolph Barnes Marcy, George Brinton McClellan (1854)
"heterodon NASICUS, B. & G. ZOOLOGY, PI. IV. SPEC. CHAR.-—Vertical plate broader than long. Rostral excessively broad and high. ..."
5. Archæology of the United States by Samuel Foster Haven (1856)
"heterodon niger, Catesby (female). Black Viper. May 21. This reptile had been kept without food for more than two weeks. Solid constituents in 1000 parts of ..."