Definition of Himalaya mountains
1. Noun. A mountain range extending 1500 miles on the border between India and Tibet; this range contains the world's highest mountain.
Group relationships: Bharat, India, Republic Of India, Kingdom Of Nepal, Nepal, Sitsang, Thibet, Tibet, Xizang
Terms within: Anapurna, Annapurna, Changtzu, Dhaulagiri, Everest, Mount Everest, Mt. Everest, Gosainthan, Kamet, Kanchanjanga, Kanchenjunga, Kinchinjunga, Mount Kanchenjunga, Lhotse, Makalu, Nanda Devi, Nanga Parbat, Nuptse
Generic synonyms: Chain, Chain Of Mountains, Mountain Chain, Mountain Range, Range, Range Of Mountains
Derivative terms: Himalayan
Himalaya Mountains Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Himalaya Mountains Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Himalaya Mountains
Literary usage of Himalaya mountains
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Edinburgh Review by Sydney Smith (1833)
"Excursions in India, including a Walk over the himalaya mountains to the Sources of the ... Tours in Upper India, and in Parts of the himalaya mountains; ..."
2. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London by Royal Society (Great Britain) (1856)
"The following communications were read :— I. " On the Attraction of the Himalaya Mountains, and of the elevated region beyond them, upon the Plumb-line in ..."
3. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society by Royal Astronomical Society (1855)
"On the Attraction of the himalaya mountains and of the elevate* Regions beyond them, upon the Plumb-line in India. By the Venerable John Henry Pratt, MA, ..."
4. Ireland Past and Present by Augustus J. Thébaud, John Habberton (1878)
"Turkey, the Caucasus, Bokhara, are rapidly taking a new shape and adopting Western manners. probably from the foot of the himalaya mountains that the spread ..."