Definition of Homopterous insect
1. Noun. Insects having membranous forewings and hind wings.
Generic synonyms: Insect
Group relationships: Homoptera, Suborder Homoptera
Specialized synonyms: Whitefly, Coccid Insect, Louse, Plant Louse, Cicada, Cicala, Spittle Insect, Spittlebug, Leafhopper, Plant Hopper, Planthopper
Homopterous Insect Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Homopterous Insect Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Homopterous Insect
Literary usage of Homopterous insect
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Psyche by Cambridge Entomological Club (1893)
"OVIPOSITION OF A homopterous insect IN YUCCA. BY C. H TYI. ... On May 15, 1891, a grayish homopterous insect, one of the Fulgoridae, or lantern-flies, ..."
2. Darwin and After Darwin: An Exposition of the Darwinian Theory and a by George John Romanes (1910)
"So that both the form and the colouring of the homopterous insect has been brought to resemble, with singular exactness, 1 For a full account of this ..."
3. The Cambridge Natural History by Arthur Everett Shipley, Sidney Frederic Harmer (1899)
"mian fossil, was formerly supposed to be a homopterous insect, but it is very anomalous, and its claim to a position in ..."
4. The Insect Book: A Popular Account of the Bees, Wasps, Ants, Grasshoppers by Leland Ossian Howard (1905)
"It resembles much more closely a minute cicada or lu:rvest-fly than any other homopterous insect. It hibernates in the adult stage in crevices in the bark ..."