Definition of Honeysuckle family
1. Noun. Shrubs and small trees and woody vines.
Generic synonyms: Asterid Dicot Family
Group relationships: Order Rubiales, Rubiales
Member holonyms: Genus Abelia, Diervilla, Genus Diervilla, Genus Leycesteria, Leycesteria, Genus Linnaea, Linnaea, Genus Lonicera, Lonicera, Genus Symphoricarpos, Symphoricarpos, Common Snowberry, Snowberry, Symphoricarpos Alba, Waxberry, Genus Sambucus, Sambucus, Genus Triostium, Triostium, Genus Viburnum, Viburnum, Genus Weigela
Lexicographical Neighbors of Honeysuckle Family
Literary usage of Honeysuckle family
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Gray's New Manual of Botany: A Handbook of the Flowering Plants and Ferns of by Asa Gray, Benjamin Lincoln Robinson, Merritt Lyndon Fernald (1908)
"... (honeysuckle family) Shrub», or rarely herbs, with opposite leaves, the calyx-tube adherent tn the î-ft-celled ovary, the stamens as many as (1 fewer in ..."
2. Forestry in Minnesota by Samuel Bowdlear Green, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota (1902)
"honeysuckle family. A family of a few hundred species, including such well-known plants as the common Elder (Sambucus), ..."
3. The Trees of California by Willis Linn Jepson (1909)
"HONEYSUCKLE'FAMILY. Small trees or shrubs with opposite leaves. Flowers complete. Calyx-tube adnate to the ovary, the toothed limb insignificant. ..."
4. The Elements of Botany for Beginners and for Schools by Asa Gray (1887)
"... honeysuckle family. Shrubs, or rarely herbs, with calyx adherent to the 2-5- celled ovary (the teeth or limb above it sometimes nearly obsolete or ..."