Definition of Hoyle
1. Noun. An English astrophysicist and advocate of the steady state theory of cosmology; described processes of nucleosynthesis inside stars (1915-2001).
2. Noun. English writer on card games (1672-1769).
Definition of Hoyle
1. a rule book [n -S]
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hoyle
Literary usage of Hoyle
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. International Catalogue of Scientific Literature by Royal Society (Great Britain) (1906)
"hoyle, WE A diagnostic key to the genera of recent ... hoyle, \VE Cambridge, Mass., Bull. Mus. ... hoyle, WEJ Conch., Leeds, 11, 1904, (27, with fig.). ..."
2. Dictionary of National Biography by LESLIE. STEPHEN (1891)
"This volume made hoyle at once a recognised authority ... hoyle was an ardent supporter of the policy and proceedings of ¡lie United Kingdom Alliance, ..."
3. The Weekly Reporter by Great Britain. Parliament. House of Lords, Great Britain. Privy Council, Great Britain. Supreme Court of Judicature (1893)
"IN KE hoyle. There is the second conviction for a common assault, to which no objection is taken ; that conviction, therefore, stands, but the conviction ..."
4. An Index to the Wills and Inventories Now Preserved in the Probate Registry by William Fergusson Irvine (1898)
"1768 hoyle, James, of Edge Yate within Constable, Forest of) go Rossendale, clothier . ... hoyle, James, of Great Harwood Will and Inv. 1768 hoyle, James, ..."
5. A Bibliography of Works in English on Playing Cards and Gaming by Frederic Jessel (1905)
"hoyle, EDMOND.—hoyle's Games. A New and Correct Edition. 165 pp. ... hoyle, EDMOND.—hoyle's Games. Containing the established Rules and Practice of ..."
6. Cases Argued and Determined in the Circuit and District Courts of the United by Josiah Hooker Bissell (1875)
"THE JR hoyle. DISTRICT COURT.—DISTRICT OF INDIANA.—JULY, 1868. IN ADMIRALTY. 1. JURISDICTION.—A person who in one State advances money to release a boat ..."
7. Alphabetical Finding List by Princeton University Library (1921)
"1876) W90.479 hoyle, W. Our national resource»; and how they are wasted. Lond. ... hoyle'i games.. .rules and practices of whist...[etc.] Phil. ..."