Definition of Hypo-
1. Prefix. (anatomy) Below; beneath; under. ¹
2. Prefix. (medicine) Deficient; less than normal. ¹
3. Prefix. (chemistry) A name for oxoacid and oxyanions with a low amount of oxygen. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Hypo-
1. A prefix signifying a less quantity, deficient, below normal or a low state or degree, of that denoted by the word with which it is joined, or position under or beneath. For example, hypocalcaemia is olow calcium in the blood.
2. A prefix denoting that the element to the name of which it is prefixed enters with a low valence, or in a low state of oxidization, usually the lowest, into the compounds indicated; as, hyposulphurous acid. Used to denote the lowest, or least rich in oxygen, of a series of chemical compounds.
Origin: Gr. Under, beneath; akin to L. Sub.
(04 Mar 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hypo- Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hypo-
Other Resources Relating to: Hypo-