Definition of Important person
1. Noun. A person whose actions and opinions strongly influence the course of events.
Generic synonyms: Adult, Grownup
Specialized synonyms: Big Cheese, Big Deal, Big Enchilada, Big Fish, Big Gun, Big Shot, Big Wheel, Head Honcho, Celebrity, Famous Person, Behemoth, Colossus, Giant, Heavyweight, Titan, Elder Statesman, Eminence Grise, Excellency, Fixer, Influence Peddler, Heavy Hitter, Hierarch, High-muck-a-muck, Pooh-bah, Kingmaker, Bigwig, Kingpin, Top Banana, Magnifico, Figure, Name, Public Figure, Nepotist, Policy Maker, Power Broker, Powerbroker, Sacred Cow, Sirdar, Socialite, Sun, Dignitary, High Muckamuck, High-up, Panjandrum, Very Important Person, Vip, Worthy
Lexicographical Neighbors of Important Person
Literary usage of Important person
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne (1913)
"In his quality of supervisor of ecclesiastical discipline in the city, and curator of the papal finances, he was, after the pope, the most important person ..."
2. Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte, the Court of the First Empire by Claude-François Méneval (1910)
"He had grasped the fact that this important person, whose name and whose presence created so much stir, was one of the principal authors of his ..."
3. The Vestry Minute Books of the Parish of St. Bartholomew Exchange in the by Edwin Freshfield (1890)
"The next entry, though only primarily of local interest, introduces the name of an important person, Mr. Lightfoot. Mr. Lightfoot is best known as a ..."
4. Drink: A Revised and Enlarged Edition of "Drink and be Sober". by Vance Thompson (1918)
"CHAPTER III THE MODERATE DRINKER You may have met this important person, the moderate drinker. In the discussion of the good and ill of alcohol, ..."