Definition of Indian hemp
1. Noun. Source of e.g. bhang and hashish as well as fiber.
Terms within: Bhang, Haschisch, Hash, Hasheesh, Hashish
Generic synonyms: Cannabis, Hemp
2. Noun. Valuable fiber plant of East Indies now widespread in cultivation.
Generic synonyms: Hibiscus
Terms within: Deccan Hemp, Kenaf
3. Noun. Canadian dogbane yielding a tough fiber used as cordage by Native Americans; used in folk medicine for pain or inflammation in joints.
Indian Hemp Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Indian Hemp Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Indian Hemp
Literary usage of Indian hemp
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Chemistry of Common Life by James Finlay Weir Johnston, Arthur Herbert Church (1891)
"indian hemp.—-Little is popularly and practically known in northern Europe of the use of hemp as a narcotic indulgence ; yet in the East it is as familiar ..."
2. The Practitioner by Gale Group, ProQuest Information and Learning Company (1891)
"Value of indian hemp.—Dr. CW Suckling, of Birmingham, publishes a note on the therapeutic value of indian hemp. He finds this drug most useful in the ..."
3. Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society by Cambridge Philosophical Society (1898)
"(5) The constituents of indian hemp resin. By TH EASTER- FIELD, MA, Clare College, and TB WOOD, MA, Caius College. Cannabis Sativa (syn. indica) is made use ..."
4. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1850)
"On Cannabis indica, indian hemp. By ALEXANDER CHRISTISON ... THE object of the present communication is to give some account of the indian hemp, ..."
5. Rubber-content of North American Plants by Harvey Monroe Hall, Frances Louise Long (1921)
"The indian hemp is a common plant throughout the United States and southern Canada. ... The cultivation of indian hemp would not be a difficult matter, ..."
6. Decimal Classification and Relative Index for Libraries and Personal Use: In ...by Melvil Dewey by Melvil Dewey (1922)
"Brown and indian hemp ar indefinit. For ' true indian hemp ' see ... Colorado river hemp Sesbania .567 Canada (or Indian) hemp Apocynum True indian hemp; ..."