Definition of Indian salad
1. Noun. Showy perennial herb with white flowers; leaves sometimes used as edible greens in southeastern United States.
Generic synonyms: Waterleaf
Indian Salad Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Indian Salad Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Indian Salad
Literary usage of Indian salad
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Pan-Pacific Cook Book: Savory Bits from the World's Fare by Linie Loyall McLaren (1915)
"EAST indian salad DRESSING Rub the yolks of two hard-boiled eggs smooth with half a cup of sweet oil, a teaspoon of curry powder, two tablespoons of ..."
2. Jennie June's American Cookery Book: Containing Upwards of Twelve Hundred by Jane Cunningham Croly (1866)
"AN EAST indian salad. Take a large boiled crab, pick the meat clean from the shell, and chop it up finely. Place it in a deep salad dish, adding one gill of ..."
3. The American Salad Book by Maximilian De Loup (1900)
"East indian salad Dressing. The yolks of two hard boiled eggs rubbed smooth with eight tablespoonfuls of oil, a teaspoonful of curry powder and two ..."
4. Jennie June's American Cookery Book, Containing Upwards of Twelve Hundred by Jane Cunningham Croly (1878)
"AN BAST indian salad. Take a large boiled crab, pick the meat clean from the shell, and chop it up finely. Place it in a deep salad dish, adding one gill of ..."
5. Mrs. Rorer's Vegetable Cookery and Meat Substitutes by Sarah Tyson Heston Rorer (1909)
"indian salad Select rather thick, smooth cucumbers, allowing a half cucumber to each person. Peel and chill in cold water for an hour; then cut into halves, ..."
6. Salads and Sauces by Thomas Jefferson Murrey (1884)
"East indian salad Sauce.—Rub the yolks of two hard- boiled eggs smooth ; add a teaspoon ful of curry-powder, eight tablespoonfuls of oil gradually, ..."
7. Salads, Sandwiches and Chafing Dish Recipes by Marion Harris Neil (1916)
"... beat thoroughly and pour over skinned and sliced tomatoes on lettuce leaves. indian salad DRESSING Pound the yolks of three hard-cooked eggs or rub ..."