Definition of Influential person
1. Noun. A person whose actions and opinions strongly influence the course of events.
Generic synonyms: Adult, Grownup
Specialized synonyms: Big Cheese, Big Deal, Big Enchilada, Big Fish, Big Gun, Big Shot, Big Wheel, Head Honcho, Celebrity, Famous Person, Behemoth, Colossus, Giant, Heavyweight, Titan, Elder Statesman, Eminence Grise, Excellency, Fixer, Influence Peddler, Heavy Hitter, Hierarch, High-muck-a-muck, Pooh-bah, Kingmaker, Bigwig, Kingpin, Top Banana, Magnifico, Figure, Name, Public Figure, Nepotist, Policy Maker, Power Broker, Powerbroker, Sacred Cow, Sirdar, Socialite, Sun, Dignitary, High Muckamuck, High-up, Panjandrum, Very Important Person, Vip, Worthy
Influential Person Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Influential Person Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Influential Person
Literary usage of Influential person
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Notes and Queries by Martim de Albuquerque (1861)
"... by the following plan : — membered Latin inscription to a gentleman of the place, he told me, that an influential person in the neighbourhood wished to ..."
2. Chambers's Encyclopædia: A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge for the People (1878)
"After the year 1700, he became the most powerful and influential person at the court of the czar, who made him chief-admiral of the Russian navy, of which, ..."
3. Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, of the Reign of Henry VIII by Great Britain Public Record Office, John Sherren Brewer, Robert Henry Brodie, James Gairdner (1905)
"... of Hesse had already been urged by an influential person to persuade the ... It would seem that the influential person referred to by Mont was Duke ..."
4. An Autobiography by Anthony Trollope (1883)
"... at the request of some influential person, while in another direction there was no letter-carrier because no influential person had exerted himself. ..."
5. How to Report on Books, Grades 5-6 by Jill Norris, Melanie Coon (2005)
"Read aloud part of an autobiography that describes an influential person in the ... Include a picture of the author and the influential person and your two ..."