Definition of Ionization chamber
1. Noun. A measuring instrument that measures the amount of ionizing radiation.
Specialized synonyms: Boron Chamber, Geiger Tube, Geiger-muller Tube
Generic synonyms: Measuring Device, Measuring Instrument, Measuring System
Medical Definition of Ionization chamber
1. A chamber for detecting ionization of the enclosed gas; used for determining intensity of ionizing radiation. (05 Mar 2000)
Ionization Chamber Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ionization Chamber Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ionization Chamber
Literary usage of Ionization chamber
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. American Journal of Roentgenology by American Radium Society (1921)
"the beam which enters the ionization chamber. It is necessary, therefore, to shield the electroscope itself from the radiation which the source emits in all ..."
2. The Journal of General Physiology by Society of General Physiologists, Rockefeller Institute, Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research (1920)
"upon the roof of the ionization chamber, and could be slid back and ... When these rays passed through the ionization chamber the air in it became ionized. ..."
3. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1917)
"A fine pencil of 7-rays passed through a vessel containing a crystalline substance into an ionization chamber where the ionization was measured. ..."
4. Journal of the American Chemical Society by American Chemical Society (1879)
"Stated briefly, a pressure of 1 torr of CH4 is maintained in the mass spectrometer ionization chamber, and as a result of electron impact ionization and ..."
5. Recent Advances in Physical and Inorganic Chemistry by Alfred Walter Stewart (1920)
"The ionization chamber is then moved slowly round the axis; and whenever a strong X-ray ... The angle of the ionization chamber is read off; and from it the ..."
6. Ocean Magnetic Observations, 1905-1916: And Reports on Special Researches by Louis Agricola Bauer, John Adam Fleming, William Francis Gray Swann, James Percy Ault, William John Peters (1917)
"The saturation current produced in an ionization chamber by the active deposit ... A large cylinder, when afterwards introduced into the ionization chamber, ..."
7. The Principles of Physics and Biology of Radiation Therapy by Bernhard Kroenig, Walter Friedrich (1922)
"The walls of the ionization chamber offer an adequate protection against ... Part of the penetrating rays will enter the ionization chamber through the ..."