Definition of Izmir
1. Noun. A port city in western Turkey.
Generic synonyms: City, Metropolis, Urban Center, Port
Group relationships: Republic Of Turkey, Turkey
Definition of Izmir
1. Proper noun. A major Turkish port city situated midway along the western Anatolian seaboard, geographically continuous with the ancient city of Smyrna. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Izmir
Literary usage of Izmir
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Turkey by Heike Brockmann (1998)
"Ankara ^izmir Central Anatolia .Riviera TURKEY ssa -Mediterranean * izmir ... From neighboring peaks, there is a spectacular view of the Gulf of izmir. ..."
2. Entangled Allies: U.S. Policy Toward Greece, Turkey, and Cyprus by Monteagle Stearns (1992)
"When Greece withdrew from the unified military command its forces were withdrawn from NATO's regional headquarters in izmir, Turkey, which accordingly in ..."
3. Export Credit Financing Systems in Oecd Member and Non-Member Countries by OECD Staff, OECD, Daiana Cipollone (2001)
"... izmir Branch Cumhuriyet Bulvari, Emlakbank Konak Is Merkezi, No. 34/4 35200 Konak izmir Telephone: (90 232) 445 85 60 S Telefax: (90 232) 445 85 61 ..."
4. The Kurds of Turkey: Killings, Disappearances and Torture by Lois Whitman (1993)
"... to State Terror and Special War," prepared by the izmir HEP, was banned on July 5 by the izmir State Security Court and an investigation under Article 8 ..."
5. Scientists, Plants and Politics: A History of the Plant Genetic Resources by Robin Pistorius (1997)
"The case of izmir probably generated many worries about a centralized international ... Exploration Centres, such as in izmir, in which both national and ..."
6. For Hunger-Proof Cities: Sustainable Urban Food Systems by Mustafa Koc (1999)
"... in izmir, Turkey Introduction Mustafa Koc and Hulya Koc The notion of self-regulating markets is a myth. Even in advanced industrialized countries, ..."