Definition of James knox polk
1. Noun. 11th President of the United States; his expansionism led to the Mexican War and the annexation of California and much of the southwest (1795-1849).
Generic synonyms: Chief Executive, President, President Of The United States, United States President
James Knox Polk Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: James Knox Polk Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of James Knox Polk
Literary usage of James knox polk
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Library of Southern Literature by Edwin Anderson Alderman, Joel Chandler Harris, Charles William Kent (1909)
"james knox polk [1795—1849] JM McCONNELL SINCE the days of Andrew ... James Knox Polk was born in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, November 2, 1795. ..."
2. The National Portrait Gallery of Distinguished Americans: With Biographical by H. J. Herring, James Barton Longacre (1853)
"Samuel, the father of james knox polk, was an enterprising farmer. He was throughout life a firm Democrat, and a warm supporter of Mr. Jefferson. ..."
3. The Addresses and Messages of the Presidents of the United States, Inaugural by United States President (1846)
"They had six sons and two daughters ; Robert Polk, the progenitor of James Knox Polk, was the fifth son; he married a Miss Gullet, ..."
4. Life of Gen. Ben Harrison by Lew Wallace, George Alfred Townsend (1888)
"james knox polk. MECKLENBURG County, North Carolina, has the distinction of being the birthplace of two Presidents of the United States—Andrew Jackson and ..."
5. Perley's Reminiscences of Sixty Years in the National Metropolis by Benjamin Perley Poore (1886)
"james knox polk was born in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, November 2d, 1795 ; was a Representative in Congress from Tennessee, ..."
6. History of Mecklenburg County and the City of Charlotte, from 1740 to 1903 by Daniel Augustus Tompkins (1903)
"War Times and County Affairs—Lawyers and Legislative Proceedings—Monetary System—Public Buildings and Industries—Andrew Jackson and james knox polk Born in ..."
7. The Lives and Graves of Our Presidents by George Sumner Weaver (1884)
"james knox polk. ELEVENTH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. .OR several reasons which will appear in the record, the biography of the eleventh president, ..."