Definition of Jed'dah
1. Noun. Port city in western Saudi Arabia on the Red Sea; near Mecca.
Generic synonyms: City, Metropolis, Urban Center, Port
Group relationships: Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia, Saudi Arabia
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Jed'dah Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Jed'dah
Literary usage of Jed'dah
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Library of Universal Knowledge: A Reprint of the Last (1880) Edinburgh and (1880)
"... staff," u stout pole 4 ft. long, with a steel head. JED DAH. See JIDDAH. J EDDO, or JEDO. S; e TOKIO. ..."
2. Personal Narrative of a Pilgrimage to Al-Madinah & Meccah by Richard Francis Burton, Isabel Burton (1893)
"... the best distribution of its frontier would be that which includes all the property called Holy Land, making Yambu' the Northern, and Jed- dah the ..."
3. The New York Times Current History (1917)
"The rebels captured Mecca, Jed- dah, and Taif. The United States Government has sent a second note to Austria concerning the submarine attack on the ..."
4. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1891)
"... if taken, would have prevented a massacre at Jed- dah and an increase of the slave trade. His next expedition, 1855, was to Harar, in Moslem Abyssinia, ..."