Definition of Jeffrey pine
1. Noun. Tall symmetrical pine of western North America having long blue-green needles in bunches of 3 and elongated cones on spreading somewhat pendulous branches; sometimes classified as a variety of ponderosa pine.
Generic synonyms: Pine, Pine Tree, True Pine
Jeffrey Pine Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Jeffrey Pine Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Jeffrey Pine
Literary usage of Jeffrey pine
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (U.S.) (1919)
"EFFECT OF FERTILIZATION ON THE SEED OF jeffrey pine EN MUNNS Forest Examiner, United States Forest Service In May, 1914, the jeffrey pine (Pinus jeffreyi) ..."
2. Dwarf Mistletoes: Biology, Pathology, and Systematics by Frank G. Hawksworth, Delbert Wiens (1998)
"One seed source of jeffrey pine shows resistance to dwarf mistletoe. ... Western dwarf mistletoe infects understory jeffrey pine seedlings on Cleveland ..."
3. The Silva of California by Willis Linn Jepson (1910)
"The jeffrey pine, which merges insensibly into the Yellow Pine, is in its typical form found at high elevations, ranging from 6000 to 9000 feet. ..."
4. The Trees of California by Willis Linn Jepson (1909)
"jeffrey pine is a forest tree 60 to 120 or 170 feet high, typically with ... In its typical form jeffrey pine is found at elevations of 6000 to 9000 feet. ..."
5. The Important Timber Trees of the United States: A Manual of Practical by Simon Bolivar Elliott (1912)
"That it may reach a great size is certain, for, in 1 " jeffrey pine is scarcely less magnificent in size than its associate, the Western Yellow Pine. ..."