Definition of Karnataka
1. Noun. State in southern India; formerly Mysore.
Generic synonyms: Province, State
Group relationships: Bharat, India, Republic Of India
Definition of Karnataka
1. Proper noun. State in southern India which has Bangalore as its capital. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Karnataka Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Karnataka
Literary usage of Karnataka
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: “a” Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature edited by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"... karnataka- desa), a name given by Europeans to a region of southern India, between the Eastern Ghats and the Coromandel coast, in the presidency of ..."
2. Fuelwood Studies in India: Myth and Reality by Devendra Pandey (2002)
"Demand and Supply of Fuelwood in karnataka (unpublished). For the Forest Department, Government of karnataka. Indian Institute of Management (IIM), ..."
3. A Comparative Grammar of the Dravidian Or South-Indian Family of Languages by Robert Caldwell (1875)
"... properly the Kannada, or karnataka, which is spoken throughout the plateau nf Mysore, in the southern Mahratta country, and in some of the western ..."
4. International Religious Freedom (2000): Report to Congress by the Department edited by Barbara Larkin (2001)
"In karnataka police patrols reportedly were increased at all places of worship, and a special investigative unit was formed to investigate the bombings. ..."
5. Researches Into the Physical History of Mankind by James Cowles Prichard (1844)
"In remote periods karnataka was a powerful empire and comprehended a great part ... The karnataka language and alphabet are used by the natives of all the ..."
6. Tracking Gender Equity Under Economic Reforms: Continuity and Change in by Swapna Mukhopadhyay, Ratna M. Sudarshan (2003)
"In a survey of two thousand rural households spread over eight districts in the states of Uttar Pradesh (UP) and karnataka in India, it was found that the ..."
7. Instability in Indian Agriculture in the Context of the New Technology by Shakuntla Mehra (1981)
"In Tamil Nadu and karnataka, however, where the irrigation system lets the water flow from field to field, water control and management is much poorer. ..."