Definition of Kodiak island
1. Noun. An island off southern Alaska in the Gulf of Alaska; site of the first European settlement in the area which was founded by the Russians in 1784.
Kodiak Island Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Kodiak Island Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Kodiak Island
Literary usage of Kodiak island
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States by Henry Gannett (1905)
"... the westernmost point of kodiak island. SITKINAK ISLAND. Coal occurs on the high island of Sitkinak," one of the Trinity Islands, ..."
2. Nature's Strongholds: The World's Great Wildlife Reserves by Laura Riley, William Riley (2005)
"kodiak island NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE The world's densest population of one of the world's largest land carnivores is on ruggedly beautiful kodiak island ..."
3. Trails and Tramps in Alaska and Newfoundland by William S. Thomas (1913)
"We then visited Gull Island to get a few fresh eggs for break- kodiak island Pinks fast. ... kodiak island ..."
4. The Birds of North and Middle America: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Higher by Robert Ridgway (1919)
"1 (kodiak island, Alaska: coll. US Nat. Mus.).—BALL and BANNISTER, Trans. ... NELSON, Cruise 'Corwin' in 1881 (1883), 109 (kodiak island to Bering Straits; ..."
5. Adventure Guide Inside Passage & Coastal Alaska by Ed Readicker-Henderson (2006)
"You run out of superlatives pretty fast when you're talking about Alaska's scenery, but kodiak island has a beauty that is different from every other stop ..."
6. Some Big Game Hunts by Albert Hawes Cordier (1911)
"kodiak island, ALASKA, HUNTING TRIP. SCENES AND INCIDENTS EN ROUTE. I had hunted and bagged a specimen of about all the big game in the United States and ..."
7. Fur Seal Arbitration: Proceedings of the Tribunal of Arbitration, Convened by Bering Sea Tribunal of Arbitration (1895)
"... residing on kodiak island. HABITS. William Rohde, being duly sworn, deposes amid says : I am a resident B of St. Paul, Kodiak, Alaska, amid am captain ..."