¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Krater
1. a type of vase [n -S] - See also: vase
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Krater Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Krater
krater (current term)
Literary usage of Krater
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Corinthian Hellenistic Pottery by G. Roger Edwards (1975)
"VESSELS NOT FOR USE WiTH HEAT krater 705, Pls. 33, 63. Final stage, Ca. 150 BC VESSELS FOR FooD 705-721 Deposit : 102. The single example of this form has a ..."
2. The Red-figure Pottery by Sharon Herbert (1977)
"This krater was a monumental pot for Corinthian red figure. ... The Pothos Painter's krater depicts a maenad with her arm flung out, a fawn skin draped over ..."
3. Archaic Corinthian Pottery and the Anaploga Well by Darrell Arlynn Amyx, Patricia Lawrence (1975)
"Fragments of a large krater (see below for dimensions and technical details of individual ... The fragments of this krater resemble those of the next, 179, ..."
4. History of Ancient Pottery: Greek, Etruscan, and Roman by Henry Beauchamp Walters, Samuel Birch (1905)
"In Southern Italy the krater holds the same position as the amphora of the BF ... The calyx-krater seems to have been reserved for the better and more ..."
5. The Neolithic and Bronze Ages by Sara Anderson Immerwahr (1971)
"III B loop-handled krater in proportions), and finally after an attempt to restore the lower part correctly, which should however have been protracted ..."
6. The Potters' Quarter by Agnes Newhall Stillwell, Jack Leonard Benson (1984)
"kraterS The krater shape in utilitarian vases is well defined and usually ... Most unusual is the fragment of a stirrup- krater from the Northwest Angle ..."
7. Ceramicus Redivivus: The Early Iron Age Potters' Field in the Area of the by John K. Papadopoulos (2003)
"Together, scenes such as that on the Caputi Hydria and the krater in Caltagirone provide a fleeting ... Detail of Athenian red- figured calyx-krater. ..."