Definition of Laotian
1. Noun. A member of a Buddhist people inhabiting the area of the Mekong River in Laos and Thailand and speaking the Lao language; related to the Thais.
Group relationships: Lao People's Democratic Republic, Laos
Generic synonyms: Asian, Asiatic
2. Adjective. Of or relating to Laos or its people. "Laotian refugees"
Definition of Laotian
1. Noun. A person from Laos or of Lao descent. ¹
2. Proper noun. The official language of Laos (closely related to Thai). ¹
3. Adjective. Of, from, or pertaining to Laos, the Laotian people or the Laotian language. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Laotian Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Laotian
Literary usage of Laotian
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Security in the Americas edited by Georges Fauriol (2008)
"... Asian or Pacific Islander Asian Chinese Filipino Japanese Asian Indian Korean Vietnamese Cambodian Hmong laotian Thai , Other Asian , Pacific Islander ..."
2. Setup: What the Air Force Did in Vietnam and Why by Earl H. Tilford, Jr. (1991)
"The laotian Factor President Kennedy had been in office only 10 days when Newsweek's Ernest K. Lindley wrote, "Many difficult problems press upon him. ..."
3. The Romance of the Harem by Anna Harriette Leonowens (1873)
"MAY-PEAH, THE laotian SLAVE-GIRL. ON the evening of the 10th of August, 1866,1 found myself suddenly and unexpectedly, and almost without being aware of it, ..."
4. Adventure Guide Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia by Janet Arrowood (2006)
"... Street 228 (between streets 51 and 63) Phnom Penh, Cambodia •s 855 23 216 436/216 438 Fax 855 23 216 437 laotian ..."
5. Around Tonkin and Siam by Henri d' Orléans, prince d' Henri Philippe Marie Orléans (1894)
"... a Pirogue—The Nam Ou—Muong Ngoi'—A Religious Grotto —Details on the Khas—A laotian Evening—Mekong—Pakou—The Arrival at Luang Prabang —The Consulate. ..."
6. China's Forest Product Import Trends 1997-2002: Analysis of Customs Data by Xiufang Sun, Nian Cheng, Andy White (2004)
"Leading entry ports of laotian lumber Figure 4.60 ... again the leading entry port for laotian (mainly hardwood) lumber imports Imports of lumber from Laos ..."
7. Air Power and Desert Storm by Richard B. Clark (1993)
"The possibility that some American servicemen remain in laotian or North Vietnamese hands long after all POWs were supposedly repatriated is deeply ..."