Definition of Leland stanford
1. Noun. United States railroad executive and founder of Stanford University (1824-1893).
Lexicographical Neighbors of Leland Stanford
Literary usage of Leland stanford
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Biennial Report by California Dept. of Agriculture, California State Commission of Horticulture (1901)
"EDWARD BERWICK read the following letter from Mrs. leland stanford: ME. EDWARD BERWICK: DEAR SIR: ... leland stanford. Twenty-seventh December, ninety-nine. ..."
2. The Constitution of the State of California: Adopted in Convention, at by California, Edward Francis Treadwell (1902)
"The trusts and estates created for the founding, endowment, and maintenance of the leland stanford Junior University, under and in accordance with "An act ..."
3. International Catalogue of Scientific Literature by Royal Society (Great Britain) (1905)
"Sei., 3] i» Stanford University, Cal., leland stanford Jr. I'niv., Hopkins Seaside Lab., Cont. ... Sei., 3] in Stanford University, C'al., leland stanford ..."
4. The Days of a Man: Being Memories of a Naturalist, Teacher, and Minor by David Starr Jordan (1922)
"In the year 1885 Senator leland stanford, a former governor of California and one of ... On March 13, 1884, his only child, young leland stanford Junior, ..."
5. Personal Recollections and Observations of General Nelson A. Miles by Nelson Appleton Miles, Marion Perry Maus (1896)
"The most widely known of the educational institutions of California is the Leland Stanford University, situated at Palo Alto and formally opened in 1891. ..."
6. Complete Story of the San Francisco Horror by Richard Linthicum, Trumbull White (1906)
"leland stanford University was one of the most richly endowed, ... This, with what the university had received from leland stanford himself, ..."
7. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1909)
"See leland stanford, Junior, university. Stars —Continued. Colors of some of the stars in the globular Stanhope, ..."
8. Stories of the Great Railroads by Charles Edward Russell (1912)
"leland stanford 20000.00 Feb. 17. leland stanford 20000.00 July 30 to Sept. ... 14. leland stanford 10000.00 June 7. leland stanford 13000.00 June 28. ..."