Definition of Leptosporangiate
1. Adjective. (of ferns) having each sporangium formed from a single epidermal cell. "Leptosporangiate ferns"
Medical Definition of Leptosporangiate
Lexicographical Neighbors of Leptosporangiate
Literary usage of Leptosporangiate
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London by Royal Society (Great Britain) (1900)
"The leptosporangiate Ferns." By FO BOWER, Sc.D., FRS, Regius Professor of Botany in the University of Glasgow. ..."
2. Organography of Plants, Especially of the Archegoniata and Spermaphyta by Karl Goebel, Isaac Bayley Balfour (1905)
"Magnified. After Hooker. i. By a slit transverse to the long axis of the sporangium. The annulus is vertical. In the great majority of leptosporangiate ..."
3. Fossil Botany: Being an Introduction to Palaeophytology from the Standpoint by Hermann Solms-Laubach, Henry Edward Fowler Garnsey (1891)
"... leptosporangiate Ferns during the periods of the Coal-measures, we know on the other hand from Schenk's l researches that there were a considerable ..."
4. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1898)
"... aud leptosporangiate ferns homolo- gize with the fertile spikes alone of ... leptosporangiate ferns and possibly to the carpels and stamens of Cycas. 3. ..."
5. The Origin of a Land Flora: A Theory Based Upon the Facts of Alternation by Frederick Orpen Bower (1908)
"In this feature again, Gl. dichotoma approaches the ordinary leptosporangiate type. The central sporangia, above noted as occurring in this species, arise, ..."
6. The Structure & Development of the Mosses & Ferns (Archegoniatae). by Douglas Houghton Campbell (1895)
"also, and in general habit as well as the position of the sporangia comes nearer the leptosporangiate Ferns. Of the Ophioglossaceae ..."